Basic list management in Dynamo debunked.. here.
Meanwhile the staff at Livingroomcraftz is battling complex floors like these ones…
Duh – complex – stay tuned for more…
I really like this song youtube link here.
Anyways – our office freak was on to something here.
For the coming days there will be a bit of silence – production work pending – we need a model for this:
Tons of work pending…
Work is good, life is good…
Our friend just found something – https://shutupandbim.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/sailing-the-seas-of-cheese/
Types without types…
Our favorite freak on a leash it up to something here.
Agreed that the fact that Revit uses single precision for it’s geometry (definition here) is a drag.
And that a company like A’desk cant fix that is making me genuinely unhappy. What more to say if you got to handle complex stuff like this:
Cutting Solids with Toposurfaces in Dynamo – works, but it’s a mind bender…
Life is still good….
Uh oh – this creep that is haunting the HQ of LRCZ – he is up to something with this.
Looks like a window in a – wait a second – curved wall – can that work?
Definitely WIP – but lets see where that goes to…
Life is good…
I love this song – link. David Byrne’s hysterical singing perfectly fits the beautiful weirness of Robert Fripp’s guitar tracks.
Back to BIM – finally our excursion into geology is done.
First we created excavation geometries for each ground slice using Dynamo:
The process used was a bit difficult – we basically created a couple of solids for the foundations, sliced them at the different topography levels, and then too a cookie cutter approach to cut away geometry we did not need to excavate.
The Dynamo for slicing the solid is here:
Link to the dyn is here.
For the Boolean operations we used rather simplistic scripts:
As well as:
With a similar process we created a geometry for the required back fill as well – as seen here:
Life is good…
Revit for geology… – … what? Yes – imagine your task is as follows:
You need to model foundations of a mildly complex structure – they look like that:
Next step is to figure out how much dirt to dig. We got the topography here:
Plus – we got individual soil layers and we want to know the quantities by layer… here are the layers all modeled as a topography in Revit:
No the again Powerpuff Girls – neeh – Dynamo to the rescue – we create a solid and slice it into individual pieces to see the quantities – the result:
All individual loadable families, correctly reporting volume:
The Dynamo script:
The script is here.
The story will not end here, tomorrow more work on back-fills and such…
Life is good…
Oh dear music – Devo, Smart Patrol running in the background…
This post is going to be continued – it’s a complex one but we’ll get to a point here.
Problem of the day is – the busy bees here at Livingroomcraftz have a nice little model and now we need all the elements below ground as a single piece of geometry in order to use it as a cookie cutter for the soil to get excavation masses.
So the model is this:
Mind you, no underground parking but we have a really bad soil situation so we have to dig really deep to reach stable ground, that’s why getting the quantities here is critical.
The excavation model is getting into shape – the red stuff is what we need to dig away for the parking lot alone – 777 m3 of earth, that’s quite a lot of trucks.
Next will be the building – but for doing this exercise in Dynamo we need one (1) piece of native Revit solid geometry to slice though the topo layers.
The graph for that is here:
Quite simple – you collect all the geometry, join it together and create a loadable family from it.
The original file:
More than 100 pieces of geometry – and I was way too lazy to remodel that as a single piece.
The result after running the script:
One piece of native Revit geometry – ready for further processing with this:
More on that in the coming days…
Life is good…
Somebody seems to be a bit angry here but that is a valid point – why would the join order in Revit determine if a parameter value is valid or gibberish – I personally would have expected better from Autodesk to be honest…
Read the post – https://shutupandbim.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/when-airwaves-swing/
Programming is not for the feeble minded – and visual programming is no exception. I sat quite some time today on a problem that presented itself as enigmatic:
Why would that not work? Or only partially? All the nodes in question are OOTB and in the same category:
So why…? I started digging around and finally found an answer – hidden in Dynamo itself – click the node in question > Right-click > Help – you’ll see that:
Click on “See more on the Dynamo Dictionary…” link on the bottom and you’ll get – a working sample graph:
Seems that some of the nodes needed the Element.Parametes Node in between – don’t ask me about that inconsistency…
And life is good…
Life is not good at all…
Upon further investigation this method does not work – the Element.Parameters Node returns gibberish when used on SharedParameterElement:
Consequently all depending nodes do the same:
I am wondering what is going on here… Smells like a bug… I’ll re-post as soon as I can figure that one out…
Reading the SDK apparently the Document class in the Revit API only exposes ParameterBindings:
ParameterBindings then only exposes the following properties:
So – my aim is to figure out weather a bound shared parameter is instance or type bound – this will not get me there… I’ll rethink…